Grilled Lamb Kofta
Created by Chef Thomas Bellec
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced with a microplane
- 1 teaspoon minced (or ground) ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 large stainless steel skewers.
- Place a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add shallot, garlic, and ginger (if using fresh minced) to skillet and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and coriander (and ginger, if using dry ground) and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove shallot mixture from heat and slightly cool, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground lamb, shallot mixture, parsley, and mint. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Mix together until fully combined.
- Divide mixture into 6 equal portions and with wet hands form each portion of lamb into a 1 ½” by 7” log. Press a skewer into the center of each lamb log and form the meat around the skewer until secure, leaving about a 4” handle on the bottom and a 1” handle on top.
- Place a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, brush with vegetable oil and add skewers, about 1” apart. Grill skewers on each side, for 6 to 8 minutes or until just cooked through, with nice grill marks. Remove from heat, transfer to a platter