Created by Chef Bellec
Yield 4 portions
- 1.5 lb – top round beef diced 4cm x 4cm (or any stewing beef cut)
- 6 oz. – double-smoked bacon
- 2 large organic carrots
- 5 oz. – white button mushrooms
- 4 oz. – pearl onions
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Bouquet garni
- 2 whole cloves
- 33 fl oz. – veal or beef stock
- 8.5 fl oz. – red wine – pinot noir
- ¼ cup – flour
- ¼ cup – butter
- 4 tablespoons – olive oil
- ¼ bunch – chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the beef top round meat in dice 4 cm x 4 cm. Peel the Spanish onion & insert the 2 cloves. Peel and cut the carrots in large slices, then peel & smash the garlic clove. Put everything in a stainless pot and cover it with red wine. Set aside in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Drain the meat from wine, keep the bouquet garni and aromatic condiments (carrot/onion)
- In a stew pot sauté beef with olive oil until golden brown on each side. Remove meat and sauté aromatic condiments (carrot/onion) for 5 minutes until golden brown. Add beef. Sprinkle sieved flour and cook until golden brown. Add red wine and reduce by ¾. Add stock and bring to a boil with the bouquet garni. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot and let cook at a slow simmer for 2 hours.
- Peel the pearl onions. Braise the pearl onion in water with butter, sugar, and salt.
- Cut smoked bacon in lardons and sauté in olive oil. Set aside and drain excess oil with a paper towel
- Wash and dry mushrooms in the same pan you sauteed the bacon.
- After 2 hours of cooking the meat add bacon, mushrooms, and braised pearl onions. Cook for 20 more minutes or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle chopped parsley.