Created by Karla Laird
A refreshing chilled cocktail for the holidays! A nice alternative to a hot mulled wine drink.
For the Mulled Wine Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of Mulling Spices (use commercially prepared spice mix or make your own)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 cups Bricoleur Vineyards Alexander Valley Zinfandel
For the Sparkler:
- 4 oz. “Flying By The Seat Of your Pants” North Coast Brut
- 1/2 oz. mulled wine syrup
- 1 strip of lemon peel
- Place the water and mulling spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes.
- Reduce to a simmer, then stir in the sugar.
- Whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved, then add the red wine.
- Keep at a simmer and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and syrupy.
- Remove the heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve, then let cool fully.
- Chill before using in the cocktail.
- To make the cocktail, add the prepared mulled wine syrup to a flute.
- Top with sparkling wine and a twist of lemon.
The leftover syrup will hold in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or so. Perfect for the Holidays!